Birthday for club
Last updated at 10:16, Thursday, 12 May 2011
THURSDAY April 7 saw Ambleside Kirkstone Rotary Club celebrate its eighth birthday at the Salutation Hotel.
Some 90 Rotarians, friends and guests filled the dining room for the occasion.
President Kath gave a short welcome address before handing over to toastmaster for the evening, Bill Dorrell, who said grace and was responsible for the smooth running of the evening.
Secretary Judy Fry announced the roll call, starting with DG Albert Johnson from the Keswick Club.
Following on was Arthur Jones from Carnforth as Asst DG and members from Carnforth, Ambleside, Grange over Sands, Kendal, Kendal South Westmorland, Lancaster, Lunesdale, Morecambe and Heysham, Whitehaven Castle, Windermere and the Rotary Club of the New Forest. Also present were members of the Windermere and Ambleside Lions Club and number of friends.
The Sally did members proud with a splendid meal.
President elect Vera Watson proposed a robust toast to RI, RIBI and District 1190 to which the response was given by DG Albert Johnson. After several amusing anecdotes and stories about the district, he in turn proposed the toast to the club.
President Kath responded before proposing the toast to guests and in particular, principal guest Dame Sue Ion Phd QBE.
Dame Sue’s career and interests embrace an amazing span of scientific and technical appointments and has extensive knowledge of the nuclear fuel cycle, Atomic Energy European Commission Euratom Science and Technology.
Dame Sue now has a house in Ambleside at which she hopes to be able to spend more of her time in the future.
The formal proceedings of the evening concluded with the Rotary toast.
First published at 09:32, Thursday, 12 May 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Kirkby news
- Lollipop lady to retire after 17 years of keeping Cumbria children safe
- Kirkby Gala
- Kirbky pupils set out risks of ‘dangerous’ road
- Cumbria youngsters get the ball rolling to learn sporting skills
- Public will get chance to have say on Kirkby moor windfarm revamp
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- A595 wagon hell looms for Furness residents (6 comments)
- Much-loved Cumbria councillor was a “true gent”
- A595 in Cumbria to be closed for roadworks (1 comment)
- ‘Worst floods I’ve seen in 12 years’ - Kirkby resident
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Kirkby community nets £17,700 to build multi-use sports area
- Cumbria train line reopens - short delays (1 comment)
- More than 350 homes left without power near Ulverston
- Cumbria residents say they will fight to get nightmare section of A595 upgraded (3 comments)
- Cumbria village broadband nightmare is finally over for residents
- Inspirational Ulverston girl Alice Pyne’s gran shows how to raise money in style
- Cumbria A595 road safety summit called (1 comment)
- MP welcomes fuel price cut in South Cumbria village (2 comments)
- Safety fears prompt calls for A595 Cumbria works (4 comments)
- Kirkby residents hail Cumbria MP’s broadband crusade (2 comments)
- Cumbria graphic designer’s broadband campaign backed by community
- Cyclist left with broken ribs after being knocked off bike on road to Ulverston (1 comment)
- New Cumbria turbines set to double height of old windfarm (2 comments)
- Cumbria road ‘not fit for purpose’ says councillor after A595 gridlock (8 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
- No title
- Women honoured
- No title
- Rutherford ‘bitterly disappointed’ at draw (5 comments)
- Ulverston burglar's £2K jewellery haul
- No title
- Talent shines through
- Homes evacuated as fire crews tackle Penrith supermarket blaze (33 comments)
- Island go top after seeing off rivals Cents at Rating Lane
- Tots get moving – Theo-style
- Young driver injured in Barrow bingo hall crash (42 comments)
- Body found inside house
- Anger over family holiday
- Raiders weigh up player contracts after title bid failure (2 comments)
- Kirkby stalwart ‘stunned’ as he scoops honour from the Queen
- Renters expect to wait to 37 before buying a house
- PERSONAL INDEPENDANT PAYMENTS (P.I.P.)
- No title
- Sculpting in Lakeland
- Fire crew battle Grizebeck blaze