Wednesday, 07 October 2015

Fire at Cumbria train attraction

A FIRE broke out at a tourist attraction in Cumbria yesterday.

Fire crews from Seascale and Bootle were called to a fire at a building that is part of the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway at about 4.40pm. 

The fire involved a building in Ravenglass used as a paint shop.

The Fire Service said the single storey workshop was well alight when they arrived and hoses were used to put it out. 

Trevor Stockton, Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway general manager, said the fire was quickly brought under control. 

The fire may have been the result of an electrical fault in the building, which is used to paint locomotives and rolling stock.

It was contained within the building, which was empty at the time of the fire. An early inspection revealed limited damage to the contents of the building.

Mr Stockton said: “We are really grateful to the fire crews for their prompt and efficient action.

"December is a busy month for us with Santa specials and these will go ahead as planned, with no changes to the arrangements.

"We have almost sold out tickets to travel up the line to Dalegarth to see Santa over the coming weeks and we will be sure not to disappoint any young people who really look forward to this experience at this time of year.”

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


More Kirkby news

Hot jobs

Evening Mail homepage


Do you want to see A595 road improvements or a new bridge across the Duddon?

A595 improvements

New Duddon bridge



Show Result

Follow us on Facebook
North West