GMC to allow GP to practice again – with conditions
Published at 13:03, Tuesday, 05 July 2011
A FAMILY doctor suspended for six months by a medical tribunal has been cleared to practice again – subject to a raft of conditions.
A General Medical Council panel suspended Dr Henry Hart in December after he was found guilty of serious misconduct at the Bayside Family Practice in Ulverston.
The 45-year-old escaped being struck-off after the panel accepted he was a “highly competent and valued doctor” and it was in the public interest for him to remain in the medical profession.
The father-of-two, formerly of Kirkby, quit his post at the Ulverston surgery in September 2008.
By that time, 800 patients had transferred to other practices and many were said to have regularly complained about him.
A review hearing met last week and published a report which said Dr Hart’s fitness to practice remained “impaired”, but he may practice subject to 11 conditions.
The report said: “The panel is satisfied that you have begun to take the necessary steps to address your behavioural and attitudinal problem, but considers that further work remains to be done.
“The panel has borne in mind that, although it felt that you should have done more to keep your medical knowledge and skills up to date, no criticism has been made of your clinical skills or competence.
“In the light of this fact, the panel has determined that it is sufficient for the protection of the public, the public interest and your own interests to place conditions on your registration.”
The conditions rule that at any workplace Dr Hart must have a supervisor who must provide a report to the GMC on his interaction with colleagues every three months.
He must also work within the NHS and may not practise privately.
The conditions will be imposed for 12 months.
The report said a panel will review Dr Hart’s case at a hearing to be held before the end of his conditional registration.
That panel will consider whether it should take any further action in relation to his registration and will expect him to demonstrate he has “recognised and remedied” the areas where he “fell short of the standards expected of a medical practitioner.”
A spokesman for NHS Cumbria said Dr Hart had not practised in Cumbria since 2008.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk