Kirkby’s gala day
Published at 12:00, Monday, 27 June 2011
KIRKBY gala takes place on Saturday on the village sports field.
One of the highlights of the gala is the fell race organised by the British Open Fell Runners Association.
The event starts at 2pm, with fell races for all ages. The full course on Kirkby Moor covers 4.3 miles and includes 1,300 feet of climb.
The runners start and finish on the showfield.
The gala features other sporting events, as well as a barbecue, afternoon teas, stalls and entertainment.
The previous evening the Friends Of Burlington C of E Primary School, in Kirkby are holding a pre-gala ceilidh.
An evening of music and dancing led by the Wooden Leg Ceilidh Band takes place on Friday from 7pm to 11pm.
This year there will be performances by the children of Burlington School.
Bar and refreshments available. All welcome. Advance prices are £5 for adults, £2 for children, and £12 for a family of four.
Prices on the door are £6, £3, £15 respectively.
The event takes place in the gala marquee, at the Community Centre.
There’s also still time to enter Kirkby Gala’s observation competition.
Children and adults are invited to pick up an entry form from Moorland Stores and follow a trail around the village looking for out-of-place objects in participating gardens.
The contest runs until Thursday and entry is 50p.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Kirkby news
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- South Cumbria windfarm’s towering turbines are too intrusive says campaign group (6 comments)
- Two vehicle car crash on Cumbria A595
- South Cumbria A595 campaign takes new twist (1 comment)
- Lollipop lady to retire after 17 years of keeping Cumbria children safe
- Kirkby Gala
- Kirbky pupils set out risks of ‘dangerous’ road
- Cumbria youngsters get the ball rolling to learn sporting skills
- Public will get chance to have say on Kirkby moor windfarm revamp
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- A595 wagon hell looms for Furness residents (6 comments)
- Much-loved Cumbria councillor was a “true gent”
- A595 in Cumbria to be closed for roadworks (1 comment)
- ‘Worst floods I’ve seen in 12 years’ - Kirkby resident
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Kirkby community nets £17,700 to build multi-use sports area
- Cumbria train line reopens - short delays (1 comment)
- More than 350 homes left without power near Ulverston
- Cumbria residents say they will fight to get nightmare section of A595 upgraded (3 comments)
- Cumbria village broadband nightmare is finally over for residents
- Inspirational Ulverston girl Alice Pyne’s gran shows how to raise money in style
- Cumbria A595 road safety summit called (1 comment)
- MP welcomes fuel price cut in South Cumbria village (2 comments)
- Safety fears prompt calls for A595 Cumbria works (4 comments)
- Kirkby residents hail Cumbria MP’s broadband crusade (2 comments)