Saturday, 10 October 2015

Millom man in train horror at Kirkby

A STRESSED dad lost his cool and punched a man repeatedly in the face on a train to Millom, a court heard.

Gary Stables, 41, admitted carrying out the attack on Steven Fell at Kirkby train station when he appeared in Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday.

The court heard Mr Fell had spent May 19 drinking with friends in Ulverston and boarded the train back to his home in Millom that evening.

Mrs Lisa Hine, prosecuting, said he went to sleep, but woke when the train stopped in Kirkby railway station and went to the carriage door to see where he was.

He then returned to his seat, she said.

Mrs Hine said: “He noticed a male and female get out of the train just before he got up. The male got back on the train and approached him. He didn’t say anything but punched him three times while he was still seated.

“He was aware of the female standing behind the male and shouting things like ‘What are you doing that for?’ and ‘Get off him’ (to Stables).”

Mr Fell had “no explanation as to why the defendant assaulted him and said it was totally unprovoked”, Mrs Hine said.

He was left with a bloody nose and bruising around his eyes.

Mr Trystan Roberts, defending, said Stables, of Waitham Bungalow, Kirkby, had been on the train with his wife and children.

He said: “He indicates Mr Fell came onto the train and was in drink and was a little abusive when he came onto the train and then fell asleep. As they were leaving the train, he came up and asked them if this was the correct station to get off at.”

Mr Fell became abusive when Stables told him the stop was Kirkby and not Millom, spurring him to carry out the attack, Mr Roberts said.

He said: “He went back onto the train and literally collared the man and said ‘There was no need for that in front of my family’.”

Stables, who admitted common assault, had been under a lot of pressure after being diagnosed with three brain aneurysms in 2011, Mr Roberts said.

District Judge Gerald Chalk said Stables’ behaviour was “wholly unjustified” but added: “You have your own personal problems that may explain your sudden temper.”

He gave Stables a six month community order with a requirement to be on curfew between 8pm and 6am for the next five weeks.

Stables was also ordered to pay £150 compensation and £85 costs.

Have your say

Train Horror? A bloody nose and bruising? Shorley shome mishtake?

Posted by OLD JOHN on 18 July 2012 at 16:56

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


More Kirkby news

Hot jobs

Evening Mail homepage


Do you want to see A595 road improvements or a new bridge across the Duddon?

A595 improvements

New Duddon bridge



Show Result

Follow us on Facebook
North West