New South Lakes housing would be backed by head
Last updated at 15:27, Friday, 10 February 2012
THE future of a village school could be strengthened by proposals to build 52 new homes.
South Lakeland District Council’s local development framework outlines plans to build 6,000 homes across the district.
In Kirkby SLDC has said 41 homes could be built on land next to Burlington School while a further 11 homes could be built at Four Lane Ends.
No homes will be built by the council but should developers come forward, the sites would be seen as a favoured location for new homes.
Jan Bath, headteacher at Burlington School, said any potential development could help safeguard the school’s future.
Mrs Bath, who will retire from the school in August after a decade in charge, said: “Numbers at the school are steady but children are the future of the village. There are 61 pupils here at present.
“I would welcome new homes in the village and that’s what the school needs. Young families do find it difficult finding homes in the village.”
The initial proposals to build up to 90 homes in the village sparked controversy. The series of heated public meetings resulted in the formation of the Kirkby Housing Action Group.
The disgruntled residents argued it was unfair for SLDC to suggest a disproportionate number of homes be built in the village.
Ken Wilkinson, secretary of Kirkby Housing Action Group, said: “The village does not need that number of houses – there are a number of houses for sale. I don’t like the idea of houses being built next to the school because that would be using valuable farming land. There’s all sorts of poor land they could build on.
“This is better than the 90 proposed homes but it still doesn’t go far enough. It’s better than it could have been but I’m still disappointed.”
First published at 13:16, Friday, 10 February 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Kirkby news
- Lollipop lady to retire after 17 years of keeping Cumbria children safe
- Kirkby Gala
- Kirbky pupils set out risks of ‘dangerous’ road
- Cumbria youngsters get the ball rolling to learn sporting skills
- Public will get chance to have say on Kirkby moor windfarm revamp
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- A595 wagon hell looms for Furness residents (6 comments)
- Much-loved Cumbria councillor was a “true gent”
- A595 in Cumbria to be closed for roadworks (1 comment)
- ‘Worst floods I’ve seen in 12 years’ - Kirkby resident
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Kirkby community nets £17,700 to build multi-use sports area
- Cumbria train line reopens - short delays (1 comment)
- More than 350 homes left without power near Ulverston
- Cumbria residents say they will fight to get nightmare section of A595 upgraded (3 comments)
- Cumbria village broadband nightmare is finally over for residents
- Inspirational Ulverston girl Alice Pyne’s gran shows how to raise money in style
- Cumbria A595 road safety summit called (1 comment)
- MP welcomes fuel price cut in South Cumbria village (2 comments)
- Safety fears prompt calls for A595 Cumbria works (4 comments)
- Kirkby residents hail Cumbria MP’s broadband crusade (2 comments)
- Cumbria graphic designer’s broadband campaign backed by community
- Cyclist left with broken ribs after being knocked off bike on road to Ulverston (1 comment)
- New Cumbria turbines set to double height of old windfarm (2 comments)
- Cumbria road ‘not fit for purpose’ says councillor after A595 gridlock (8 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
- Church restored with firm’s help
- Living proof you can survive cancer
- Barrow bids farewell to BAE Systems built submarine Ambush (3 comments)
- No title
- No title
- Barrow parent's call for ‘nit nurse’ to return
- Inside the Mind of John Woodcock (3 comments)
- Tribute to a wonderful person
- Awards time for Barrow Raiders duo
- No title
- Barrow staff lose thousands of pounds in pay day gaffe (4 comments)
- Young driver injured in Barrow bingo hall crash (42 comments)
- No title
- Body found inside house
- Anger over family holiday
- Women honoured
- Raiders weigh up player contracts after title bid failure (2 comments)
- Kirkby stalwart ‘stunned’ as he scoops honour from the Queen
- PERSONAL INDEPENDANT PAYMENTS (P.I.P.)
- Sculpting in Lakeland