Pole to be repaired thanks to John
Published at 13:13, Tuesday, 25 January 2011
A LEANING electricity pole is being repaired thanks to a concerned villager.
Kirkby resident John Leigh raised the alarm after he noticed an electricity cable post near his home in Askewgate Brow wasn’t standing straight.
Mr Leigh feared the post could fall down so he called Electricity North West to warn them of the danger.
The 68-year-old said: “I saw that one post carrying the electricity cable, just down the road, was leaning in what I thought was a dangerous manner.
“You could see it quite clearly from the road. It was leaning by about 10 degrees.
“There had been some damage to the stone wall at the side of the road, and the fields at either side are at a higher level, so that may well have had something to do with the leaning post.”
But two days after he reported the leaning post, Mr Leigh had not heard back from Electricity North West so he contacted the Evening Mail.
A spokesman for ENW said: “We have been out to Kirkby to look at the post.
“Our engineers have said the post isn’t a danger or likely to fall down but we will repair the post in order to put Mr Leigh’s mind at rest.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Kirkby news
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- South Cumbria windfarm’s towering turbines are too intrusive says campaign group (6 comments)
- Two vehicle car crash on Cumbria A595
- South Cumbria A595 campaign takes new twist (1 comment)
- Lollipop lady to retire after 17 years of keeping Cumbria children safe
- Kirkby Gala
- Kirbky pupils set out risks of ‘dangerous’ road
- Cumbria youngsters get the ball rolling to learn sporting skills
- Public will get chance to have say on Kirkby moor windfarm revamp
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- A595 wagon hell looms for Furness residents (6 comments)
- Much-loved Cumbria councillor was a “true gent”
- A595 in Cumbria to be closed for roadworks (1 comment)
- ‘Worst floods I’ve seen in 12 years’ - Kirkby resident
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
- Kirkby community nets £17,700 to build multi-use sports area
- Cumbria train line reopens - short delays (1 comment)
- More than 350 homes left without power near Ulverston
- Cumbria residents say they will fight to get nightmare section of A595 upgraded (3 comments)
- Cumbria village broadband nightmare is finally over for residents
- Inspirational Ulverston girl Alice Pyne’s gran shows how to raise money in style
- Cumbria A595 road safety summit called (1 comment)
- MP welcomes fuel price cut in South Cumbria village (2 comments)
- Safety fears prompt calls for A595 Cumbria works (4 comments)
- Kirkby residents hail Cumbria MP’s broadband crusade (2 comments)